Tempelhof airport was designed by the Nazi’s before World War II started as a state of the art transport hub which would not only accommodate mixed military and civilian transport, but would also hold a crowd of 80,000 spectators for airshows and national rallies by incorporating terraces on the massive terminal building roof spaces overlooking the airfield.
With construction already underway at the beginning of World War II efforts were however diverted into using some of the completed parts as a factory to make war time air craft.
At the end of the war the allies took over the airport, made good the wartime damage and partially finished some of the construction work in order to use it as a military airport during the time when Germany was split between the Soviet Union and the West.
It was used to fly supplies into the western sector in 1948/1949 during the blockade of Berlin when the Soviets prevented all road and rail transport from reaching the western controlled part of the divided city. During that time, it saw some two million tons of supplies arrive in a practically non stop cycle of aircraft landing, unloading and taking off again back to the west for resupply.
After the Berlin wall came down and Germany was reunited the airport was used for civilian transport until 2008.
Today it is mostly abandoned and unused, but still maintained as it belongs to the German state. The airfield itself is used as a public park, incorporating BBQ areas, cycle tracks and even a skateboard park. Some small businesses rent parts of the massive terminal buildings and occasionally the main hall, and other parts of the buildings are used for shows and exhibitions.