Krampnitz was built in the rearmament period just before the second World War. It was in use during the war as a Nazi military camp and barracks and was taken over by the Soviets just one day after the Germans abandoned it in April 1945. It then became home to the Motor Rifles Division of the Soviet Army until the break up of the Soviet Union in 1992. It has been abandoned since, and is due to be redeveloped soon.